Applying to IDSC Major
Applying to the IDSC Program is not the same as declaring any other major. In order to become an IDSC student you must:
- Complete IDSC 2190, Foundations of Interdisciplinary University Studies (3 credit hours) with a grade of “C” or better.
- Create an academic plan of study that is truly your own, with approvals if required, from faculty advisors in each area of emphasis.
- Complete the IDSC Program Application.
IDSC students' programs are never vocational in nature, nor can they duplicate the purposes or coursework required by existing majors on campus.
IDSC requires and allows students to explore related ideas and topics in a way that can ONLY be done through interdisciplinary study and this program.
This degree is not to be perceived as combining 120 hours of anything. Students are responsible for carefully researching their chosen fields of study.
At least 25 hours must be at the upper level (3000 level or higher) and an overall GPA of 2.0 in the identified major courses is required to graduate, as well as a 2.0 overall GPA.
Questions for students to ask:
- What do I want to study, and for what purpose?
- What academic departments are important to this academic plan of study?
- Would this program be an intellectual inquiry of a set of ideas, or is it merely a training ground for a professional career?
- Is there another department that already offers a similar field of study, making the creation of a program in this field unnecessary?
- Am I eligible for admission to IDSC?
The process of applying takes time and effort on the student’s part. The most important requirement is developing an academic proposal for a plan of study and writing an application essay explaining why this major and the emphases chosen should be approved. We suggest that you take on this challenge through a number of smaller steps.
- Define an area of emphasis and make a list of possible courses;
- Talk to the IDSC staff and professors who teach in areas that interest you.
- Complete IDSC 2190;
- Complete the IDSC application